1. What is Biased Based Profiling?
Biased Based Profiling is the selection of individuals based soley on a common trait of a group. This includes race, ethnic background, gender, sexual orientation, religion, economic status, age, or cultural group. If you wish to report a case of Biased Based Profiling please contact the Punta Gorda Police Department by email or phone (941) 639-4111.

2. I have had several phone calls from people representing themselves as police officers and asking for donations. Are these police officers and what is the money used for?
Punta Gorda police officers do not solicit money for the department. Police officers never make solicitations over the telephone. There are some law enforcement-related agencies such as the Fraternal Order of Police that solicit donations, but they are not Punta Gorda Police Officers nor does the money go directly to the Punta Gorda Police Department. However, some of the money does help support the sponsorship of legislation concerning law enforcement. It`s also a good idea to ask for a financial statement or budget before making a decision about whether to donate to the organization. If the organization is legitimate, they will give you this information and then you can decide whether you want to make a donation.

3. Where do I get an application for the police department?
If you are interested in picking up an application for employment with the Punta Gorda Police Department contact the Human Resources Department at (941) 575-3308 or contact the Staff Sergeant at (941) 575-5533.

4. How do I contact someone who has been arrested?
Once someone has been arrested by the Punta Gorda Police Department, they are taken to the Charlotte County Jail to be held there. Prisoners can be contacted at (941) 833-6356, and ask for the jail. The jail can be contacted for general information at (941) 833-6300.

5. How do I register my out-of-state vehicle?
If you would like to register your out-of-state vehicle in Florida, you must first go to the Charlotte County Tag Office and pick-up a V.I.N. verification form, which can be completed by any car dealership, Notary Public or Law Enforcement Officer. The vehicle you are registering must be present to complete the form.

6. Does the police department provide fingerprinting services?
The Police Department provides fingerprinting services on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. There is a charge for this service. Please contact the Records Section at 941-575-5508 for more information.

7. Who do I contact in reference to property the police department may have?
If you have reason to believe the Punta Gorda Police Department may have property belonging to you from a loss or theft, you can contact the Property/Evidence Section at (941) 575-5510.

8. Who do I call for law enforcement services outside the city limits?
The main phone number to the Charlotte County Sheriff`s Office is (941) 255-1656. The Sheriff`s Office responds to calls for service outside of the city limits.

9. Whom do I contact to attend the local driving school?
To attend the Southwest Florida Safety Council School for Driving, call (941) 639-8729.

10. If I am traveling on a one-way street and want to turn left onto a one-way street, can I turn left at a red light?
Unless signs at an intersection prohibit a turn, Florida Law permits a left turn from the far left lane onto the one-way street after you have come to a complete stop, even on a red arrow. You must turn from the left most lane to the left most lane, or right most lane to right most lane depending on the one-way traffic. You must yield to oncoming traffic and pedestrians first.

11. Where do I go if I need a copy of a police report or need to be fingerprinted?
Copies of police reports can be obtained from the Police Department`s Records Section which is located at the Public Safety building and is open on Monday – Friday from 8:00am – 5:00pm. Fingerprinting services are offered on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 8:30am – 4:30pm. Traditional, rolled ink fingerprints can be done without an appointment but you must bring the fingerprint card(s) issued to you by the agency that is requiring your fingerprints; the Police Department is unable provide the correct cards to you. For electronic fingerprints, you must schedule an appointment and pay online at http://www.l1id.com/pages/550-enrollment-services.

12. What do I do if I receive a parking ticket from the Punta Gorda Police Department?
You need only to include your payment in the self-addressed envelope and mail your payment to the address on the envelope. If you wish to contest the ticket, you may do so within 10 working days by contacting the Punta Gorda Code Compliance Division at (941) 575-3324 and arrange for a hearing. Who do I contact for a traffic ticket? If you receive a Uniform Traffic Citation, you must contact the Clerk of the Court at 639-3111 and make arrangements with them for payment or arrange for a court date if you wish to contest the citation.

Back To FAQ List

Request in process, please wait...